Transgender Awareness Week
Please join us between November 15–19 for a variety of campus programs for Rensselaer’s Transgender Awareness Week organized by the LGBTQ+ Task Force.
An Afternoon with Anaïs Duplan
Wednesday, November 17, 4PM / EMPAC Studio 1—Goodman:
Artist and poet Anaïs Duplan presents a screening, discussion, and book-signing for students and Rensselaer community members. This event is part of EMPAC’s Fall 2021 season and is co-curated with WRPI’s Program Director Lindsay Vogelmann and Public Relations Director Victoria Wisniewski.
Duplan will screen a selection of films and videos that inspire his EMPAC-commissioned radio series Blackspace, currently broadcasting on Mondays at 5PM on WRPI Troy 91.5FM.
Following the event with Duplan, the LGBTQ+ Task Force will be hosting a screening and discussion of Transhood.
Transhood Screening and Discussion
Wednesday November 17, 6:30PM / SAGE 4101
Filmed over five years in Kansas City, Transhood chronicles the lives of four young people (aged 4, 7, 12, and 15 at the start of filming) and their families as they navigate growing up transgender in America’s heartland. By sharing personal realities of how gender expression is reshaping their lives, the film explores how these families struggle and stumble through parenting, and how the kids are challenged and transformed as they experience the complexity of their identities.
The Transhood screening is part of a series of events sponsored by the LGBTQ+ Task Force as part of Transgender Awareness Week
- MONDAYS, NOVEMBER 15–DECEMBER 6
- Radio Broadcast
- BLACKSPACE RADIO / Live broadcast with @wrpi 91.5FM
- Based on Duplan's recent book of essays the broadcasts entwine histories of liberation movements, labor struggles, criticism, and poetry with music, soundtracks, field recordings, and Foley sound.
- MONDAY, NOVEMBER 15
- INFORMATION TABLE
- Union Information Table (with cupcakes!)
- WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 17
- 4PM / Studio 1—Goodman @ EMPAC
- screening / discussion / book signing
- An Afternoon with Anaïs Duplan
- 630PM / Sage 4101
- screening / discussion
- FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 19
- 4–5PM / Chapel + Cultural Center
- Trans Day of Remembrance
- Folsom Library
- Trans Literature + Resource Display
- Display of Trans-related materials at the library and launch of LGBTQ+ research resource page